Friday, September 08, 2006

Lazy

Dear Readership (yes, both of you),

I've been delinquent in my blogging frequency. I could offer up a multitude of excuses for this, but in the end it boils down to laziness. I wasn't quite sure how to overcome the lull. Until tonight.

As is my routine, I took the dog for a walk after supper this evening. In truth, it's more the dog's routine than mine, but by default it has become mine*. Along our customary route, I spotted a girl leaving her house dressed in a Sobey's (grocery store) uniform, presumably on her way to work. I then watched her get into her car and drive to work.

When I say I watched her drive to work, I mean exactly that. From Point A (her house) to Point B (Sobey's), her vehicle never left my sight. I estimate that door to door, the distance from home to her workplace is approximately 150 metres/yards.

Puzzled, I tried to run through my head possible scenarios which would explain this. The only one that was remotely plausible was that it was for security reasons assuming her shift ends at a late hour. However, given the distance and the fact that we're not exactly in a high crime area, I still don't quite get it. I am left to assume that the true reason is sheer laziness.

Given this new perspective, my blogging truancy doesn't seem quite so bad. Does it?

*TANGENT:

Joanna: "Hey, what were you guys celebrating last night?"
Peter: "Oh, uh, I'm not really at liberty to talk about it. (She looks at him) I really can't. (Still looking) Alright, so when the sub routine compounds the interest, right, it uses all these extra decimal places that get rounded off. So we simplified the whole thing and we just-- we round 'em all down and drop the remainder into an account that we opened."
Joanna: "So, you're stealing."
Peter: "Uh, no. No, you don't understand. It's uh-- it's very complicated. It's uh-- it's aggregate, so I'm talking about fractions of a penny here. And, uh, over time they add up to a lot."
Joanna: "Oh, okay. So, you're gonna make a lot of money, right?"
Peter: "Yeah."
Joanna: "Right? That's not yours?"
Peter: "Uh, well, it becomes ours."
Joanna: "How is that not stealing?"

-Office Space-

3 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Wow I'm such a nerd! I knew that was Office Space after the second line. Such a great movie!

If you're already being "lazy" about writing in your blog, I can only imagine what will happen once your little one is born since the only tings you'll want to do in your spare time is sleep! Then again it might prompt a whole new series of posts (like others we've read about lack of sleep and massive poops). Looking forward to reading about your journey into fatherhood :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger E. Rivera said...

LOVE Office Space.

And that story is hilarious. Having no car I can't imagine not walking that distance to work. I'd be all happy that I live that close to work, so I can WALK there. Bizarre. Not good for the environment either, her doing that.

3:25 PM  
Blogger London Postmaster said...

Hey! We watched Office Space this morning ... you just blew, my, mind!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home