Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Tree

Every so often I stand in the breakfast nook of my kitchen and gaze out the window which looks out on my front yard. Peering over the crest of the overgrown globe cedars which threaten to devour my view, I gaze upon the tree that those who owned the house before me decided to plant.



Is that not the sorriest looking tree you've ever seen? I feel like I should be wrapping a blue blankey around it like Linus in A Charlie Brown Christmas. Will it look better if I shower it with love? Does anyone even know what kind of tree it is? Honestly, I'm clueless. If you happen to be an expert when it comes to coniferous or deciduousness, please feel free to drop me a line, because quite frankly, I don't even know if it's SUPPOSED to look like that.

However, I think I did figure out why they decided to plant a tree in the middle of my postage stamp sized front lot. Take one generous sidestep to the right. There you go.

6 Comments:

Blogger London Postmaster said...

Ahem ... (as I clear my throat and adjust my tie)... what you have here David, is a Chamaecyparis nootkatensis as known by it's offical species name or, Nootka falsecypress for the horticultarists out there, or an Alaskan Yellow Cedar for you street folk.
This evergreen is one of the best of the large group of Chamaecyparis species that can be used in yard landscape. It has good winter hardiness and is relatively pest-free. Growth of the plant is conical, but with pendulous flattened twigs that give it an attractive, graceful appearance.

... I'm guessing.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Burnie said...

See now thats planning for ya go figure...ugly pole...pretty tree!!!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

Uhm... Honey, I told you the theory behing the location of the tree. I will not let you take credit on that one. Still love you

6:13 PM  
Blogger London Postmaster said...

Ha ha ha... BURN! ha ha ha...

6:29 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Bizarro. This entry continues to show 0 comments. I just clicked out of idle curiousity.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea about trees, however...it IS in fact A SORRY-ASS looking tree...I feel sorry for it but at least it's thought about...ie: loved.

Keep it I say, it made us all laugh our butts off on this Friday night!

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home