Sunday, August 20, 2006

Now That's Unfortunate

Lately, the wife and I have been discussing possible names for our soon-to-be addition to the family. It reminds me of how important it is to pick a good name that hopefully won't result in your child being the butt of jokes and so forth. It is also probably wise to consider the context of the name in other cultures.

For example, I was at a Tim Horton's near the airport in Toronto about a week ago and saw an East Indian lady working the drive-thru. As I glanced at her nametag, this is what I saw:

MANHOOR

Whoa. That's a pretty unfortunate name, I thought to myself. Kids in the playground could have a field day with that one. I thought for certain that I had misread, so I paid careful attention the next time she came around. Turns out I was right......it wasn't MANHOOR at all.

It was MAHNOOR.

Yeah. No joke to be made there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should have kept the post at the first name cause i was literally laughing out loud...to the point Kayley was inquiring, "mommy, what? what's so funnY!??"

can you hint at a couple of names?

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home