Wednesday, September 27, 2006

7 Days

It was recently brought to my attention that I had not posted anything for a while. Taking the matter under advisement, I decided to investigate. It appears that they were correct. It has been a while. The root cause for this delinquency is that I have been extremely busy both at work and at home as I get ready for the birth of my daughter in seven days.

I'm going to let that sink in for just a moment.

Seven days? Seven freakin' days!?

Where exactly did the last 9 months go? I'm sure my wife would be able to provide a detailed accounting, but for me, the time has gone quickly.....maybe above the speed limit. It seems like just yesterday it was Valentine's Day and my wife was calling me at work with a "Guess what?" question. (When I said Valentine's Day, you thought I was going somewhere else, didn't you? For shame.)

Sometime over the last 8+ months I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to be a father (though the prospect continues to terrify me a little bit). We've had ultrasounds, doctor's appointments, prepared the nursery, had a baby shower, installed a car seat and thrown around possible names (only a bare few we seem to agree on). And now we're in the home stretch. Next week at this time, I will most likely have joined the ranks of fatherhood.

So for any of you father's out there, if you have any words of wisdom to impart......now is most definitely the time.

7 Comments:

Blogger E. Rivera said...

How very exciting and daunting. Congratulations. Can't wait to read about it.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

I hope it was a good Valentines day gift. I'm scared to. Love you

10:16 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'm not a parent so I can't really give you advice... just want to say that I think you two are going to be fabulous parents. Hope you're ready to have her wrap you around her little finger - I'm told this happens to all daddies when they see their little girls :)

best wishes to both of you

2:57 PM  
Blogger Curt Sawyer said...

Sleep when the baby sleeps. My daughter is almost 11 months old, and the best advise I got for the first month was to sleep when the baby sleeps. Don't use her nap time to get things done, or you won't have any sleep for the first month. And get a parent/family member/friend someone to lend a hand during that first month, doing things like grocery shopping, cleaning, errand-running, etc. All the stuff you won't have time for.

And take lots of pictures. They grow up faster than you'd believe.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Burnie said...

I do have to agree with Capt Sawyer, he seems to be speaking from experience.
Myself, I'm not usually very good at giving advice to Dave or a lot of time for that matter..:(
I hope to change that in the near future.
I'm sure there will be an outpouring of advice in the next little while, maybe we will also be giving a little advise, but, I'm hoping to be able to give a lot more time...
Your "Dad".

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave!

You gave me chills reading this! I got all lumpy in my throat. I can't wait for my new neice to arrive!

We are so very excited and nervous for you cause we know what's about to happen to change your lives forever...muhuhahaha!!! j/k...it's all in a very, very good way. You won't wish for your old life back even one day. She is about to become the most precious part of your lives.

Love Ann, Chuck and the girls.
P.S. Watch your mail, should be something there anyday!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Wow, you have a great blog here.

Happy Valentines day to you, and family.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home