Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's Everywhere You Don't Want To Be

Two tickets to The Inside Man: $19.00
Large pop and Resse's Pieces: $8.00
Gas for return trip to theatre: $5.00

Staying at home with a rental: Priceless.

Yep....last night was date night. Tam and I went out to the show for the first time in a long time. It reminded me about why people are buying big screen televisions and staying away.
I really wanted to see V for Vendetta, but The Inside Man was my second choice. So putting the decision in the pregnant lady's hands, that's the show we ended up going to see. We got there about 1/2 hour before the show, and there were lineups for the ticket counter and the automated ticket terminals. Having no cash, I got into one of the terminal lineups. Let me just say, that if in this day and age you don't know how to use an ATM, please don't leave your house. Stay inside and stop messing with the lives of the rest of us. I don't feel like standing behind you while you scratch your head and wonder, "Now how does this work again?"

After an agonizing wait, I finally was able to purchase the tickets. Enter the concession line.

Dave's Law #8: No matter what line you pick, that line will be the slowest.

We get behind some dude buying popcorn and drinks for a family of 30. After stepping to the side so the forklift could get in, we were able to make our order. A large Diet Pepsi, and a box of Reese's Pieces. $8.14!! That's an hours wage for some people. Controversial!

There were no Tribute magazines available, which is one of the things I look forward to when I go to the show.
So it was a direct walk to Cinema 12. Do not pass Go. Do not pick up your magazine.

Oh. My. God.

I don't remember the last time I went to a movie that was so packed. There were no seats for 2 available in all the upper section (which is where I always sit) and the lower section was filling fast. We grabbed a couple chairs on the far left. So for the duration of the film, we would have to have our heads "back and to the left". Gazing up....straining to focus...I was pretty stoked. We left the two aisle seats beside us vacant, which were soon occupied. Some "princess" in the row behind didn't even bother to take her foot off the seat when someone sat in it. The youth of today are so considerate.

There were a couple good previews like The Sentinel (Michael Douglas, Keifer Sutherland, Eva Longoria, Kim Basinger), The Break Up (Jennifer Aniston, Vince Vaughn), The Da Vinci Code (Tom Hanks) and MI: 3 (Tom Craz....er Cruise). Then the movie started. About 5 minutes into the show my bladder called. It was urgent. I hung up. He kept calling, over and over and over again, which made it hard to enjoy the movie, but I managed to ignore it as best I could.

As for the movie itself, I was a bit dissappointed. It's not uncommon these days. I don't think the movies aren't as good, I think I'm just pickier as to what I like. The plot was okay, but there wasn't much character development, so it was hard to really care. It was all about the bank robbery and trying to figure out what's really going on. I'd give it about a 6 out of a possible 10.

Final verdict: We probably should have stayed home with a rental and watched it on the 40" LCD. Next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I think Mom's going to be insulted that you want people like her to just stay at home.

And the line picking thing must be a Grant trait. Steve doesn't let me choose the line at the grocery store anymore because the person ahead of me always ends up needing a price check that takes half an hour.

Sorry to hear your movie experience was a bust. Maybe you should've went to see "She's the Man" because I bet that theatre would've been empty.

3:39 PM  
Blogger London Postmaster said...

I hope you have more days/outings that suck, because they are quite entertaining to read about... I really felt like I was there complaining with you! Good job.

Cheers.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

Thanks for taking me out to the movies. Even if I was feeling sick to my tummy. I guess you can pick the movie next time.
Tam

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, I resent that comment!!
I guess I'm not anonymous anymore.
If you guys would have noticed, i stopped going to the movies ages ago!!
And in my defence, people like me (I don't know if this was in reference to my age or ??????)don't have families of 30 nor can we raise our legs high enough to be on someone else's seat!!!!
I remember when you guys laughed at me because I was annoyed at people making a racket as they dug into their bags of candy.
THEY SHOULDN'T SELL BAGS OF ANYTHING AT THE THEATRE!!!
I feel better now.
Anyway I wish your evening was more enjoyable.
Have a great day- it would be great to hear your voice sometime soon.
Love Ya
P.S. This is my THIRD attempt at sending this comment-( go ahead laugh)

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home