Sunday, June 25, 2006

Something that really gets under my skin and compels me to write a blog post about it.

It has been occurring for a while now.

All around.

It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Every time I go to Tim Horton's or McDonald's or [insert random fast food chain here] I hear it.

Five words.

Five excruciating words.

"Can I help who's next?"

I beg your pardon? Is this what is being taught in English classrooms across the country these days? Is it some bastardization of language being inserted into orientation packages alongside of "Would you like fries with that?" Inquiring minds want to know, because I myself worked at a fast food chain for X* years and that particular phrase was never part of my repatoire. Instead, I went to the old standbys like:

[eye contact] "Hi, can I take your order please?"

"Hello, can I help the next person in line?"

"Good afternoon, sir, how can I help you?"


Any of these.....perfectly acceptable. "Can I help who's next?", on the other hand? You may as well just throw a couple of bling blings and hizouses at me while you're at it and really incite my rage.

Seriously.

And don't think I'm the only one who's noticed.


* Where X = more years than I care to admit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Let's be honest though...you never said "Good afternoon, sir, how can I help you?". (And for some odd reason, whenever I read that phrase, it's always with a British accent)

9:42 AM  
Blogger E. Rivera said...

A post after my own heart! For some reason whenever I see the word "your" in place of "you're" it's like someone stabbed me in the eye. Usually it's difficult for me to read on.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home