Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What's In A Name?

I have a confession to make to you: I hate the name of my blog.

This wasn't always the case.

When I first created this blog, I wanted to get started as soon as possible, and things like choosing a name were an unfortunate obstacle. Fortunately, I was struck by a moment of inspiration. I'll call it The Greatest Blog Ever Written! Tongue in cheek, of course. To illustrate the point, I would add a clever subtitle, like ".....is unavailable at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later I had the thought to Google that name....just out of curiousity. My worst fear was confirmed. I was original.....along with about 87 others. Sigh.

Add to that the realization that anyone seeing a link to my site only sees The Greatest Blog Ever Written, and not the witty comment following it (hell, it's hard enough to see if you actually visit the page). What are people to think?

Reader: The Greatest Blog Ever Written? WTF? I have a blog. Who does this clown think he is that he's better than me?

[click]......[reads].....[snorts]

Reader: This isn't even the greatest thing I've read today. What a moron. Oooooh.....Wil Wheaton. Let's see what Wesley Crusher's up to......

[click]

So, therein lies my dilema. I've been trying to come up with a new name ever since. Unsuccessfully, I might add. I need something catchy, witty, memorable, and apropos. How about:

Dave Grant Dot Blogspot Dot Com (DGDBDC). Too wordy. And there are about a bazillion Dave Grants (seriously....I looked it up. A bazillion. And three).

Singing Telegrams from Innisfil. Too obscure.

Adventures in a ...Chalmers...Shelter. ??????????

No. No. No. No. NO! Think big. Think original. THINK!!

[deep breath]

It's there. Swirling in the darkest corners of my brain and dammit.....the batteries in my flashlight are dying.

Anybody got a couple of D cells to spare?

Seriously.

It's getting dark in here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

you think way to much.
Tam

10:59 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Well Dave, I've gotta say that I'm suffering from the same affliction - my blog title is completely boring and I've been running names in my head since I started writing it in December.

You might find it funny to know that I looked at your blog title and thought "now see THAT'S clever! Why can't I think of something like that?"

good luck with your flashlight :)

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home